Now, 2 weeks in to the challenge, it’s time for another update.
We actually got a TON done over the weekend. In fact, I’m nearly done!
As a reminder, here is a BEFORE shot:
And here are my goals for this project:
1. Simplify so that the room looks less cluttered
2. Use vertical space better
3. Unify color scheme with dining room so that the 2 rooms complement each other
4. Visually separate the 2 rooms while still allowing for easy movement between them
5. Keep costs down – try to use what we have first before buying
Last week we de-cluttered, bought some new canvas storage bins and some new ottomans to use for seating and storage.
This week we re-arranged, organized, re-labeled and decorated.
It was a job that took the whole family. I wanted to put in a new bookshelf (well, new to this room. It’s a shelving unit we already had from the old house that was just sitting in the basement here), hang up some valances I had ordered weeks ago that finally arrived, re-arrange the remaining furniture and toys and re-label the canvas bins. To do all this, we first had to move out a bunch of stuff.
Most of it ended up on the dining room table.
CJ got to work drilling holes in the shelving unit. We wanted to attach it to the wall to make sure Isabella couldn’t pull it over.
Isabella helped too by trying on Daddy’s safety glasses.
Once the shelf was installed, the books were moved over and we started hanging the curtains.
Then it was a matter of moving stuff around until it looked right to me. There was no real process for this part, just trial and error.
Here are the bins with their new labels.
These canvas bins don’t have a slot to put a label so previously I had taped one on. I didn’t really like how that looked though and it didn’t stick real well so I needed something else. I got the idea to make labels out of scrapbook paper and tie them to the handle from another blogger participating in the challenge. I love how they turned out! Oh, and not only did I write what goes in each one, I also put stickers of the items so that Isabella knows (since she can’t read yet)
The white stacking bins are a new addition to the room. They were previously used in Isabella’s old bedroom for clothes because her closet was so small. She didn’t need them in her new room so I repurposed them down here! I added the yellow and blue paper to the front to make them more decorative and fun and then attached tags similar to those on the canvas bins, for consistency.
Now for the big reveal!
I am really loving how it turned out!
The new corner shelf adds the height I wanted while also utilizing valuable space. The new bins fit in with the color scheme of the dining room to make the 2 rooms more cohesive. And the valances add that extra pop of color that also helps tie the playroom to the dining room! I also love that I was able to use items we already had so I didn’t have to go spend a lot of money! Having the labels on the bins is really working well too and makes clean up a breeze!
We are ever so close to being done!
After living with it for a week, there are a few tweaks I want to make. The books on the corner shelf need some help as right now they’re kind of stuffed on there. There are still many bigger toys sitting out that make it look messy. Not sure yet what to do with those. I also want to add some decorative items to the top shelves of the corner unit, to make it “prettier”, along with a rug for the floor.
I’m really happy that we’ve come so far so fast though. Definitely feels like we’re over the hump and what remains is simply touch ups.
I’ll be back next Friday with another update!